We have chicken for dinner at least three times a week, and after experimenting with different recipes, our go-to has become these lemon + herb roasted chicken legs. The combination of lemon, rosemary, thyme and garlic is super delicious and perfect for chicken. Dark meat is also great for roasting because it doesn’t dry out as quickly, allowing you to cook for long enough to get a great deep golden brown color on the skin.
The one thing you definitely need to prepare this dish is a good cast iron pan, as the chicken is prepared first on the stove top and then transferred to the oven to finish cooking.
In less than 45 minutes, you have an elevated and easy-to-make chicken dinner that is super juicy, healthy and flavorful. We love to serve this with a side of roasted Japanese sweet potatoes and sauteed kale with garlic and lemon.
- 2 chicken legs with thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Blot chicken with paper towels to remove any moisture
- Season each side of the chicken with salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Whisk to combine
- Add chicken to marinade and coat each side completely
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron pan over medium heat
- Once oil is hot, add each chicken leg skin side down and cook for 5 minutes until skin has turned golden
- Flip each chicken leg, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper and top with leftover marinade
- Add cast iron pan to oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature is 165 degrees and chicken is a deep golden brown
- Add to plate and top with a spoonful of pan juices